|My Dinner in Hell|
|Season Two, Episode Two|
|Air date||10 September, 2001|
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Martin Dennis|
The Man with Two Legs
Her Best Friend's Bottom
Steve and Susan have Susan's parents over for dinner and a misunderstanding over 'Whistling alone' makes the dinner a hell. Steve meets Mariella Frostrup and accidentally drops his phone. Jane believing the phone to be Sally's puts in Mariella's pocket to later be-friend her. This creates confusion when Susan calls the number. Meanwhile Jeff and Patrick discover the 'Junior Patrick' which gets gifted to Susan's mother by mistake.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Steve and Susan are watching a documentary on telly, and the narrator says that all men masturbate, even if they are in a stable relationship. This sends Steve into a new realm of embarrassment.
Susan’s parents, who are notoriously frank in discussing matters of a sexual nature, arrive for supper. In his paranoia, Steve imagines that they are taunting him about his masturbatory habits, and furiously asks them to leave.
Meanwhile, Patrick has tracked down a vibrator that an old girlfriend modelled on his own member. He presents a gift-wrapped copy to Steve, who then innocently passes it on to Susan’s Mum as a peace offering.
Steve mistakenly blurts out to Susan’s parents that seeing his right hand naked makes him feel aroused.
- Jack Davenport as Steve Taylor
- Sarah Alexander as Susan Walker
- Richard Coyle as Jeff Murdock
- Kate Isitt as Sally Harper
- Ben Miles as Patrick Maitland
- Gina Bellman as Jane Christie
Supporting and guest cast
- Mariella Frostrup as Herself
- Wanda Ventham as Edna Walker
- James Woolley as Robert Walker
- Nick Moorcroft as TV presenter
- Wendy Wason as Sex shop assistant #1
- Samuel Barnett as Sex shop assistant #2
- Patrick's having a large penis is the basis for a lot of jokes on the show, yet the actual size is never really mentioned. However, according to the packing of the "Junior Patrick", a vibrator made in the image of Patrick's penis by one of his former girlfriends, it is supposed to be at least 10 inches.
- During the masturbation discussion, Jeff reminisces: "you're shaking the caravan, Jeffrey!". At the porn store, we hear that there's a whole shipment to go to "Caravan Shaker".
- The quote that they use in this episode is from a movie called "To Have and Have Not.", and is spoken by Lauren Bacall to Bogie.
- The above quote is on AFI's list of 100 movie quotes, it is ranked number 34. : You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.