|Ex Partner||Susan Walker|
|Current Partner||Sally Harper|
|Seasons||Season 1 to Season 4|
|Portrayed by||Ben Miles|
Patrick Maitland is one of the main characters of Coupling.
Prior to the start of the first episode Patrick was in a casual relationship with Susan Walker. Patrick misread Susan and believed there was more to their relationship than a bit of fun and the end their "fun". Patrick goes out on a date with Sally Harper, Susan's best-friend, however he ends up taking Sally to the same restaurant as Susan and Steve Taylor go to for their first date and they run into each other.
After Jeff Murdock accepts the offer of Susan showing a breast to get everyone else to leave Susan asks if these was a preference for which breast, which Patrick replies "right". Patrick then admits that he had previously assessed Susan's breast while Susan was asleep and because he was bored. ("Flushed")
Life after Season 4
Writer & Creator Steven Moffat gave a closure to the lives of the characters:
Sally said yes to Patrick, they got married and are very happy. Especially as Sally beat Susan to the altar, and finally did something first. Patrick is now a completely devoted husband, who lives in total denial that he was anything other an upstanding member of the community. Or possibly he's actually forgotten. He doesn't like remembering things because it's a bit like thinking.
- Patrick has a one-track mind: Sex, which gives him a very narrow view of women, but he is great at courting them.
- Patrick is a successful businessman and is very competitive with others in the same business.
- Patrick proposes to Sally in the last episode when she finds the engagement ring in the cupboard, but her answer is left unknown.
- In one episode it is revealed that unbeknownst to him, a woman from his past made a vibrator from a plaster cast of Patrick's erect penis and marketed as the Junior Patrick; the box clearly has a 10-inch measurement on the side when seen later in the episode.
- Ben Miles (Patrick) insists that his character drink Guinness because it is impossible to fake in the studio.