|Season One, Episode Two|
|Air date||19 May 2000|
|Written by||Steven Moffat|
|Directed by||Martin Dennis|
Sex, Death and Nudity
After an out of control pause during a phone call, Susan invites Steve to dinner, offering to cook. While discussing foreplay, Jeff warns Steve of the perils of falling into the Sock Gap and also to look out for Susan’s remote controls. Sally tries to overcome her aversion to Patrick’s political views when informed of his main attraction and Jeff freaks out when Sally, Steve and Jane give him an unusual task.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
Susan and Steve prepare to go on their first date (or at least, their first date without their friends gatecrashing.) Susan suggests that she’ll cook, sparking debate as to whether that means she’s inviting Steve to have sex too.
Susan tells Sally - and Steve - that Patrick is particularly well-endowed.
This leaves Sally with a tricky dilemma: she’s always sworn never to have sex with a Tory, but Patrick is a very big boy... Meanwhile, Steve is increasingly intimidated by Patrick’s huge reputation, until Susan finally puts him at ease.
Steve phones Susan for the first time, but can’t think of anything to say. The pause is so long it takes on a horrible life of its own - "like the Blob", in Jeff’s words.
- Jack Davenport as Steve Taylor
- Sarah Alexander as Susan Walker
- Richard Coyle as Jeff Murdock
- Kate Isitt as Sally Harper
- Ben Miles as Patrick Maitland
- Gina Bellman as Jane Christie
Supporting and guest cast
- Angus Deayton as Himself
- Mariella Frostrup as Herself
- William Scott-Masson as Howard
- Adam Astill as Barman
- "Size Matters" would be redone as the second episode of the US version, which was also titled "Size Matters".
- The number of drinks consumed by the gang at the bar gradually increases from scene to scene.
- This is the first mention of Steve's fascination with Mariella Frostrup. It is also the first mention of Susan's crush on Angus Deayton.